Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Reading

So while I continue in my seemingly pointless efforts to get a decent job, I've decided to read like shit this summer. Since I graduated in May, I've read a handful of Orson Scott Card's novels (Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon), I finished reading all of Edgar Allan Poe's tales and some of his poetry, and I just recently finished Paradise Lost. I had to read parts of Paradise Lost before for different classes, but I didn't enjoy it much then. Reading it on my own, however, I found it to be pretty damn fulfilling. Yes, it's very religious, but like religion, the poem deals with themes of humanity that run deeper than religion. Anyway, I liked it.
Right now I'm reading an edition of Le Morte Darthur that has all of the original spellings and other features of the Winchester Manuscript from the late 1400s.  For example: "'And whan Gryffet saw rescowis he smote a knyght on the templis, that hede and helme wente of to the erthe" which translates roughly to "And when Gryfflet sat the chance for rescue he smote the knight on the temple, so that head and helmet fell off [the body] onto the earth (ground)".  Pretty interesting if you're into that kind of thing.

So anyway...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is appreciated.